Friday, April 22, 2011

Show Us Your Life: Organization

I decided to participate in Kelly's Show Us Your Life today to share my mad organizational skills (Read: OCD).    Really, it's a sickness.  No one should get as excited as I do about organize.com, or about the notepads in the $1 bin at Michael's.  I don't know where I got it, but I'm pretty sure it gets worse as I get older.  So read on if you want to learn how to be sick like me.

1.  I make lists.  This is a picture of my fridge right now.  I have many more notepads scattered throughout my apartment--one on the coffee table, one in my purse, several on the computer table.  These are just the ones on the fridge at this current moment.


Yes, I do need each of these lists.  Each list has a separate category.  That one the right is actually my menu for the next 2 weeks, which brings me to #2.

2.  I plan out my meals 2 weeks at a time.  I actually started doing this to save money.  The first month I planned my meals, made my list, and only bought items on the list, I saved myself about $200 in groceries.  The planning also helps me eliminate waste.  It is actually pretty hard to shop and cook for one person, so I try my best not to throw things away.  I make a big trip every other Monday, and on the in-between Mondays, I pick up things like milk, bread, and a few produce items.  I also package my leftovers into meal-sized servings whenever I can.  Then I can just grab a container and heat it up instead of having to scoop things out of different containers onto a plate.  That means I create less dishes, and also use less water to wash the dishes.

3.  Since it is just me right now, I only actually do about 2 loads of laundry a week.  I suppose I should enjoy this luxury while I have it.  I always make sure I wash as much as I can in one load to save water.

4.  I have a central calendar.  All of my medical appointments, lunch dates, etc... go into my calendar, and I usually take it with me when I leave the house.  I used to have a big, bulky leather-bound planner (it made my apartment smell of rich mahogany), but it took up too much room.  Now, I just use a simple spiral-bound planner from Target.

5.  Anytime I can use a bin, tub, crate, basket, or rack of some sort, I do.

All my scrapbooking goodies.

Sewing supplies (I love these stackable bins).

Christmas: ornament boxes, tubs for ribbon and bags.  
The silver boxes have Christmas dishes in them.

The rest of my Christmas decorations in festive-colored boxes.

My desk organizer--I put current bills in the front pocket, 
and move them to the back once I have paid them.

Pretty containers for Q-tips, cotton balls, and hair ties.

Hanging shoe rack to keep shoes from piling up everywhere.

I'm a wine-o, so of course I need a place to put 
my wine bottles and glasses!

6.  I use an Excel spreadsheet for my budget.  Each bill goes into the spreadsheet so I don't forget to pay any of them (it has happened--a lot).  Of course, it is color coded, and has way more categories than anyone should probably have for a budget.  I blame the week I spent learning to manage my money at the Navy's Command Financial Specialist school.

All of my organization may fall by the wayside when Macy gets here.  It stresses me out a little bit to think about it.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see.  Hopefully I don't end up having an anxiety attack because my infant refuses to get herself on a schedule.


3 comments:

  1. I am so impressed! This post makes me want to re-organize my life.
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm blog hopping and found yours! Looks great!! You are truly organized! I'm now following! Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are eerily similar to me, down to the excel budget and baby name (I have 3 boys, but a girl would have been Macy!) - not to mention our cool name =)
    do do do do.
    happy t day and happy easter!

    ReplyDelete