Monday, April 11, 2011

I is for Idiocracy

I had really intended for this challenge to force me to be creative and find fun things to blog about.  I hate that issues keep coming up that are turning my posts into rants.  I guess if the issues are fitting for the letter of the day, I should go with it.

I don't think Idiocracy is actually a word.  Goggle Chrome is telling me it's not.  But it's the perfect fake word to describe what has been going on lately.  Yeah, the movie was terrible.  I think they got the point across though, and I feel like that's where we're heading.  Our government has strayed so far from what it was when it was first created.  In the beginning, government was supposed to help the people.  Now, our politicians are worried about re-election, personal agendas, their image, and a bunch of other crap that doesn't matter.  Government is so bastardized that our founding fathers probably wouldn't even recognize it anymore.

I don't follow politics.  Politics piss me off.  My Dad watches Fox News for probably an hour a day, on average.  I don't have the patience.  Fortunately, Fox News is "Fair and Balanced (for Republicans)."  I happen to be a Republican.  I'm Conservative.  I'm a Liberal-hater.  I find it ironic that Liberals actually want take away more freedoms from the average American than they want to grant. I think that's crap.  I have a hard time following or even talking about politics because I always just end up wanting to say "You're entitled to your opinion--but your opinion is still WRONG."  All that being said, there is one issue where I don't keep with the ideals of the Republicans.  Get ready to hate me.

I am Pro-Choice.  Yes, I know.  I'm a terrible person.  I really have put some thought into this though, and I have justification.  Let me start by qualifying my statement.  I am Pro-Choice, under certain circumstances--like rape and incest.  I also think abortions should be performed as early as possible.  I don't believe in late-term abortion.  You'll notice I didn't say Pro-Abortion.  That isn't because I think saying "Pro-Choice" sounds less terrible.  I wouldn't have an abortion--therefore, NOT Pro-Abortion.  My current situation has actually helped to affirm my viewpoint on the issue.

My daughter's father and I are no longer together.  We never will be.  I love her every bit as much now as I did before we parted ways.  No circumstance will EVER change the way that I feel about her.  However, it is hard sometimes to know that when she comes out, she is going to remind me of him.  It is very hard to think that every day, I am going to look at a reminder of the pain he put me through.  I know that someday, that pain will fade away, but it hasn't yet.  I can't imagine how much harder it would be to look at a child every day who is the product of rape or incest.  Sure, there is adoption.  But I don't think it is right to ask a woman to put her body through 9 months of carrying a rapist's baby, followed by 57 hours of labor to deliver that baby.  Pregnancy is hard.  Even an easy pregnancy (like mine) is hard on the body.  I certainly don't want some middle-aged, male politician telling me that I have to put my body through that.  So I will always be Pro-Choice.

But...BUT...I don't think that American tax-payers should be financing abortions!!  I support a woman's right to obtain an abortion in a sterile clinic where she will receive the appropriate level of medical care.  I don't think I should be paying for it.  Yeah, that sucks for the victim, but I think that is an appropriate compromise.  It infuriates me that Planned Parenthood is such a sticking point that I almost didn't get a paycheck.  Pssshhh...Liberals.

I don't have a good segue, but this is definitely related.  I used to claim zero exemptions for tax purposes.  I let the government "borrow" the maximum amount of my money they could, without charging them interest.  I used to consider it my After-Christmas Savings Account. Not anymore.  I would rather OWE money in April.  Loaning my money to the government is becoming a gamble, and I'm not taking the chance that I'll get an IOU next year.

Alright I'll get off my soapbox now.  Hopefully J will be more fun!

4 comments:

  1. J is for Julia!!! haha or Justice... hmm... Anyway, I, as a Republican, agree. Imagine that. It's probably why we're friends. We think similarly. Plus I've delivered babies to 15 year olds... who already have children. Kind of changes your view point a little. Adoption wouldn't be so damn difficult if I didn't have to pay $35,000 and do 6-8 months worth of paperwork, fingerprints, immigration, etc. for it. More people might consider it if it wasn't such a hassle.

    I think instead of being reactive, we should be proactive and offer birth control for free to high schoolers, free condoms at post offices, etc. The government could save millions (less medicaid, less welfare, less WIC, less food stamps). Then, if you didn't have a condom, you would look like the idiot. Instead, in America, if you have a condom, people think you're a skank. "No thanks. I just don't feel like getting herpes today." You seriously would not believe the amount of herpes that comes through the labor deck.

    Talk about a rant... hope you followed all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want my opinion? If you are considering a child any time in your life - you should be prepared for the possibilities. Being a parent isn't always flowers and candy. I think it is more piss and vinegar with the occasional chocolate covered strawberry and tulip. Our children aren't our property. Our children belong to God, and he gives us the responsibilities of loving them, raising them, and guiding them in their relationship with God. I wish that was common knowledge so I didn't feel insane. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please do J is for Junk - go to the beach and take pics of gross dudes in inappropriate swim wear and post their junk on the Internet so I can heckle them. :oD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bwahahahahaha... I second gross dudes in inappropriate swimwear. Just as much a guilty pleasure at peopleofwalmart.com

    ReplyDelete