Tuesday, April 12, 2011

J is for Journey

No, I'm not being deep or philosophical.  This isn't about life's journey, or even about a trip somewhere.  J is for Journey.  As in, "Don't Stop Believin'," "Faithfully," "Separate Ways" JOURNEY.  I'm going to talk about some other bands I love, too.  But Journey is probably my favorite band, and they're also like the Poster Band for an era of music that pretty much rocks my socks off--Classic Rock (or Southern Rock, in some cases).


Everyone loves Journey, right?  I mean, "Don't Stop Believin' " is the most downloaded song on iTunes, right Pricipal Figgins?  Do you know why?  Because Journey is AWESOME.  Classic Rock is AWESOME.  It's such a great middle-ground sort of music.  You can turn it on at pretty much any party and most people will enjoy it.  I mean, I've never heard anyone say "Man, I really hate Lynyrd Skynyrd.  I wish they would turn this crap off."  People just don't say things like that about Classic Rock.  It's versatile.  It appeals to many generations.  It brings back good memories.  It's awesome.

I am a car singer.  I have even been known to stand with my head out of my own sunroof and sing "Wheel in the Sky" at the top of my lungs during a nice day of winetrailing.  (I don't actually remember what song it was, but you get my point.)  I don't find my driving experience fulfilling without singing.  I do love to belt out a good rendition of "Any Way You Want It," but there are other bands I like too.

My second favorite is probably Foreigner.  I love some "Juke Box Hero," or "Tooth and Nail."  Of course, Styx is definitely on the list--"Lady," "Come Sail Away."  I can't forget about REO Speedwagon--"Roll with the Changes" is actually my ringtone.  Kansas, Asia, Survivor, Boston.  Skynyrd.  It doesn't seem right to end a good night of Beer-B-Qing without listening to "Freebird."  I know I'm leaving some out.  I don't have my iPod handy to scan through it.

I decided the other day that I am going to teach Macy to appreciate Classic Rock.  I'm constantly going to ask her "Hey Macy, who sings this?" so someday she will kick ass at trivia.  Add that to my list of goals for her. So far we have 1. Be skinny and love salad, and 2. RULE at musical trivia.  I'm such a good Mom already.  I wish I could get drunk right now and wail some Journey--WOOOOOO!!!  YEAH!!  Only four more months until I get to go see Journey, Foreigner, and Night Ranger at the amphitheater.  It's going to be epic.  EPIC.

2 comments:

  1. Saddest part of losing my phone--I don't have the audio of you singing to Journey when we winetrailed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAHAHAHAH! Love this post and I too LOVE Journey - perhaps almost as much as Bon Jovi (and that is a lot just so you know!).

    ReplyDelete