I am very much in disbelief at how screwed up this budget situation has gotten. Today's post is going to be a rant. It is sort of a half-hearted rant, because I'm really exhausted from reading about this all over my Facebook news feed.
Yes, I am outraged. It is unfathomable to me that congress would even fucking consider suggesting that the Military go without pay. Are they going to go without pay? No. And they make a lot more money than I do. Maybe they have no concept of what men and women in the Military really go through. These people put their lives on the line. They leave their homes and loved ones and go over seas for months and months at a time. They miss out on the births of their children. They don't even have the everyday comforts that we as lazy, fatass Americans take for granted every single day--like the ability to shower daily, eat a decent meal, or even use a toilet sometimes. (I'm really not exaggerating either. There were times on the ship when none of our toilets would flush.) They tell their families "Good Bye" without knowing that they will get to come home again in one piece, or even at all. They do it because they love their country. They do it because they know that the military offers them good benefits. They do it because their recruiters told them it was a "Guaranteed Paycheck."
Today I read a press briefing given by Press Secretary Jay Carney. Mr. Carney was discussing the impact of the government shutdown. He spoke about the different services that will not be available in the event of a shutdown. The fact that the Military will not receive a paycheck was the TENTH THING on his list.
NUMBER.TEN.
Men and women who signed a contract that said "I know that I could die while I'm defending my country. I'm willing to make that sacrifice," will not be compensated for their service, and there were NINE other things he felt he should address first.
Among those NINE other things:
1. The FHA will not be able to endorse loans.
2. No approvals of SBA-guaranteed loans.
3. National Parks, National Forests, and the Smithsonian will be closed.
4. NIH clinical center will not accept new patients or start new drug trials. (WTF?!?!)
5. People who filed paper returns won't get their tax refund.
6. Permits and other Approvals will not be processed.
7. The Mine Safety and Health Administration will not be able to conduct inspections.
8. Only emergency passport services will be available.
9. Most of the veterans benefits customer support services will be suspended.
By this point, I really hope some of you are thinking "WHO GIVES A SHIT!??!" in reagards these nine things. I wish I hadn't read this press briefing, because it made me even more livid than I already was.
I'm starting to get to the point where all I can really do is call names, and say "Fuck you, Government," so I guess I should wrap this up. I'm pissed off; I'm frustrated; I'm in disbelief. I don't trust the government. I have lost faith in the American people for electing a useless liberal for a president, a democratic house, and a democratic senate. I Would like to thank all of you who voted for change in the last presidential election. Now if you would please put your campaign signs back in your front yard, our military families know where they can go to eat while waiting on their paychecks.
I'm moving to Canada.
#1-I totally agree with you
ReplyDelete#2-that rant just totally made my day!
The last sentence totally made my whole week.
ReplyDeleteI was in complete disbelief when I realized that they STILL hadn't passed a budget and shut down was becoming a reality.
ReplyDeleteChris and I can't even believe government officials would be asinine enough to believe it is acceptable to continue accepting a paycheck when men and women who have sacrificed their lives will not receive the same courtesy.
Disgusting.
That press release says it all. I think they were hoping to bury the lead so that people wouldn't be as outraged as they should be. At this point, I'm just glad they took their thumbs out of their butts, and got something passed.
ReplyDelete