Saturday, April 2, 2011

A is for Allergies

Alright, I've decided to join the A-Z blogging fun.  I could use some new activities to keep me busy these days.  I'm playing catch-up, so I'll be posting on Sunday this week too.  Let's do this.


A is for Allergies
I hate allergies.  I have skin allergies.  Ridiculous skin allergies.  I have to buy the dye-free, fragrance-free laundry detergents and such.  God forbid I buy Gain in bulk from Sams--I developed an allergy to it about 1/4 of the way through the bottle.  I'm also allergic to Purex and Snuggle.  Those are just the ones I know for sure.  I don't mess around with laundry detergents anymore.

Even worse than skin allergies are seasonal allergies.  I don't actually have any seasonal allergies, but Spencer, my furry kid, does.  (He also has food allergies.  He eats special food for freaks with sensitive skin and stomachs.)  I had him tested last year for seasonal allergies, and the vet literally came back with a list of A DOZEN things to which he is allergic.  He also came back with the suggestion that I give him allergy shots that start around $300 for the first BATCH.  He would need the shots once a month during the off-season, and every 1-2 weeks during allergy season.  I decided I would just stick with the prescription-strength anti-histamines that only cost me $75 for a 3-month supply.

In hindsight, I should have just spent the damn money for the allergy shots.  My poor dog is miserable.  He is stuck in the Cone of Shame until this crap passes.

He looks so sad!!

Today, I actually had to go buy a bigger Cone.  While I was at work, he managed to get his paw around the Cone and scratch his face.  When I got home, he had blood all over his face.  It looked awful.  He also managed to dig at his front leg until it bled.  So when he was already miserable, itchy, and bleeding, I had to give him a bath.  He looks much better now, and I am working on modifying the new Cone because it is too big for his head.  Fortunately, I just need to punch holes in it and it should fit.  I also picked up some anti-itch shampoo that has hydrocortisone in it, so hopefully that will help.  

I'm just hoping allergy season goes quickly!  I hate seeing him so sad!

You're killin' me right now, Mom!

4 comments:

  1. Do you think the other dogs make fun of the dogs wearing cones?

    I had a cat with a cold, and they prescribed an antibiotic that cost me $100.

    For a cat.

    An antibiotic for me is about $10.

    The vet is a racket!

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tara ~~ welcome to the A~Z Challenge ~~ better late than never !! :)
    And allergies suck ! I suffered with hayfever/sinus most of my life ~ thankfully it's now under control !

    ~MICHELLE~
    http://writer-in-transit.co.za/category/other/rambles-rants-and-raves/

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's adorable even if he's in pain. Poor puppy!!! I love him!

    I'm so sorry you have icky allergies, then again it helped you with A!!!!

    I'm new here and Just here to welcome you to the A to Z blogging challenge! I'm a co-host, should you have questions don't hesitate to ask! I know we're on day 2 but you are already rockin' it out! I do hope you'll stop by and say hello! We are also having fun on twitter (I'm @jenunedited and we're at #atozchallenge)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to be part of the Challenge! I really love that it gets new people stopping by.

    ReplyDelete