Thursday, April 5, 2012

D is for Diving In

I'm out of shape.  Seriously out of shape.  Not too much with the "overweight," but definitely with the "unable to do sit-ups."

When I think about getting into shape, it makes me angry--for a couple of reasons.

1. I HATE!!! running.  With a burning passion.  The only good reason to run anywhere, is that something is chasing you.  I hate it.  I wish I could be one of those people who runs marathons for fun, but that's not me.
2. I hate being told what to do.  I.E. when the Navy mandates that I maintain a certain level of physical fitness, and work out a certain number of times a week.  It pisses me off.  I don't think my job should be allowed to regulate my body weight or how many push-ups I can do.  Thus, I am resistant to work out because I am required to do so by my job.

In trying to overcome both of those things, I have decided to go back to swimming.  This area has a ridiculous number of indoor pools, including one close to work, which allows me to go during lunch--yess!!  I have also purchased a membership to a local recreation center that is very close to my house.  Tomorrow morning will be my second day in the pool.  I really enjoyed my swim yesterday, and I hope I am able to keep it up.  I'm not so good with the dieting, and I would really like to wear shorts this summer!

2 comments:

  1. good for you, diving in! you are inspiring me (well, that and that pair of jeans that is way too tight that I cannot bear to part with...).

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to "dive in" as well, but I love running, so I think I will be starting that again! Good luck with the swimming!

    ReplyDelete