If you're visiting from Kelly's Korner, Welcome!
My story doesn't follow the Fairy Tale I would like, but it is still my story and I feel like sharing it. If I were to use 1 word to describe my life, it would be imperfect. This story fits perfectly into my imperfect life.
My little Cupcake was conceived last September. I left on September 20th for 10 days at sea on board the USS George H. W. Bush, came home for a 4-day weekend, and then left again for 25 days at sea. By the time I made it home on October 29th, I was 3 weeks late and sick as a dog. I had no idea how to tell her father. By the time I got home, I was shaking--my nerves were nearly shot. I had already stopped at Walgreens to pick up a pregnancy test. The two of us had our typical conversation about what we planned to do for the weekend. He wanted to drink beer. I asked if his feelings would be hurt if I didn't drink any beer with him. I could see the fear as I said "Because I might not be able to drink anything for about the next 9 months." It was not a happy moment. The events that followed are kind of a blur. I took the test--which was digital, just so there was no question--and smoked one last cigarette. Neither of us were thrilled. I think we were both kind of in shock.
It took me a little while to come to terms with my pregnancy. I wasn't married. I was going to have to transfer to a different job because I couldn't stay on the ship. It just wasn't what I had always imagined it would be. I really wanted to down a 6-pack and chain smoke, which was my normal way of dealing with stress. It was a hard time. I finally told my family about a month later.
As much as I wish I had a wonderful story with smiles and hugs and jumping up and down, I don't. It's OK though, because I have this instead.
...and I wouldn't trade her for the world. She is helping me every day to accept that life is never perfect, but it can still be pretty great. She has filled a hole in my heart that I never knew I had. If I had known on October 29, 2010 that she was going to be this amazing, there would have been rainbows and unicorns and all manner of festivities in celebration of expecting her. When I look at her, I can't believe that I ever felt the way I did on that day.
*****
Now a plug for my friend while I have you all here!!
My dear friend, Julia, and her husband, Chris, are in the process of adopting a little girl from Eastern Europe. The process it quite expensive, so she is hosting a fundraiser over at her blog. If you have a second, please check it out! She is giving away some very nice prizes--Coach purses, Juicy Couture watch, Brighton bracelets, and much more. It only takes a $25 donation to enter to win!! Please consider helping them bring their little girl home!!

You did sneakily tell your friends via Christmas card! That's the best part!
ReplyDeleteShe is adorable.
ReplyDelete