Recently someone suggested that I should start a pregnancy blog. At first I thought, "Well that's pretty one-dimensional. There is more to life than just being pregnant." But tonight I realized that right now, it seems like there really isn't that much in my life except for this child (who still remains nameless). I know that is just my perception, but seriously. I spend my whole day trying to eat the 25 different things I am supposed to eat every day, remembering to take my vitamin, wishing I could go on a shopping spree to Babies-R-Us, drooling at the thought of eating bleu cheese again, and wondering where she gets the energy to flop around all evening when she only weighs 10-11 ounces. So I guess I will go with it for the time being.
I'm now 20 weeks pregnant, which is literally half way. I don't know how much I count those first four weeks, since there were no symptoms and no changes, but the doctors all say that time counts. When I first found out about her (on October 29th, when I was actually 1 day shy of 8 weeks pregnant), it seemed like 9 months was soooo much time. IT'S NOT. I am starting to feel more and more that I have done nothing to prepare for this life-changing event that is supposed to happen in 138 days. Since I am a compulsive list maker, I figured I could make a list of all the things I haven't done and maybe I will stop freaking out about them.
1. I haven't named this child. In fact, I haven't even talked with Daddy about the names I like. I made a list of them (duh) but my favorite keeps varying from day to day. Hopefully when Daddy gets home he will fall in love with Harper, Teagan, Eden, Macy, Ellis, Fiona, or Maura. Yes, I know that list isn't very long. Suggestions are welcome.
2. I haven't read the books that tell you what to do when the baby gets here. Oh, I know all about being pregnant. I would challenge anyone alive in a contest of who can list the most pregnancy symptoms and their causes. I know more than I ever wanted to know about contractions, episiotomies, bloodclots the size of lemons, epidurals, and ruptured membranes. But what do I do once she is here? No idea. Didn't read the baby book.
3. I haven't bought any of the "big stuff." I have no crib, no car seat, no breast pump, no pack-and-play--nothing except for some onesies, and a few clearance Christmas outfits from Target. OMG.
4. I have no idea who is going to take care of this child when I am at work.
5. I haven't bought a new car. This may seem like it doesn't apply, but it really does. For the last 10 years, I have insisted that I would only own cars with manual transmissions. I always loved driving my 5-speed Mazda3. Then I moved to the land of the perpetual traffic jam. I challenge you to clutch-and-break the 18 miles from my apartment to work and see how many days you can last. Just try it. Now throw a screaming newborn in the backseat (which is really not big enough for a car seat). Sounds like fun, Right? I need a new car.
I guess the list isn't as long as I thought, which was sort of the point of this exercise. Either way, I'm exhausted now. Time to get some rest so maybe I can whittle away at that list tomorrow.
I'm now 20 weeks pregnant, which is literally half way. I don't know how much I count those first four weeks, since there were no symptoms and no changes, but the doctors all say that time counts. When I first found out about her (on October 29th, when I was actually 1 day shy of 8 weeks pregnant), it seemed like 9 months was soooo much time. IT'S NOT. I am starting to feel more and more that I have done nothing to prepare for this life-changing event that is supposed to happen in 138 days. Since I am a compulsive list maker, I figured I could make a list of all the things I haven't done and maybe I will stop freaking out about them.
1. I haven't named this child. In fact, I haven't even talked with Daddy about the names I like. I made a list of them (duh) but my favorite keeps varying from day to day. Hopefully when Daddy gets home he will fall in love with Harper, Teagan, Eden, Macy, Ellis, Fiona, or Maura. Yes, I know that list isn't very long. Suggestions are welcome.
2. I haven't read the books that tell you what to do when the baby gets here. Oh, I know all about being pregnant. I would challenge anyone alive in a contest of who can list the most pregnancy symptoms and their causes. I know more than I ever wanted to know about contractions, episiotomies, bloodclots the size of lemons, epidurals, and ruptured membranes. But what do I do once she is here? No idea. Didn't read the baby book.
3. I haven't bought any of the "big stuff." I have no crib, no car seat, no breast pump, no pack-and-play--nothing except for some onesies, and a few clearance Christmas outfits from Target. OMG.
4. I have no idea who is going to take care of this child when I am at work.
5. I haven't bought a new car. This may seem like it doesn't apply, but it really does. For the last 10 years, I have insisted that I would only own cars with manual transmissions. I always loved driving my 5-speed Mazda3. Then I moved to the land of the perpetual traffic jam. I challenge you to clutch-and-break the 18 miles from my apartment to work and see how many days you can last. Just try it. Now throw a screaming newborn in the backseat (which is really not big enough for a car seat). Sounds like fun, Right? I need a new car.
I guess the list isn't as long as I thought, which was sort of the point of this exercise. Either way, I'm exhausted now. Time to get some rest so maybe I can whittle away at that list tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment